Everything Dragon
Sign in to follow this  
Valoren

Wing Quill reboot

Ok. I've been busy as HELL on my novel. Since ive got only a final chapter and then the editing to do I thought I would turn my attention towards starting Wingquill workshop back up!

for those of you who are interested in a self paced writing workshop then drop a line here.

ill provide details once I get numbers and such organised.

Cheers

Val

Cool! :D

I got an idea. What if you did like a proof-read of other peoples writing they post? maybe give some tips? I would also like to see a workshop done of past-present tense, as i'm seeing alot of stories that "is present and past at the same" using words like 'came-come, running-ran, dead-died, ect'. Thanks Val!

Edited by jman2467

Guest Daichenzian

Interesting idea you have there.

But I have 2 assignments to complete by the end of the week, so I'll leave you to it.

The whole idea of wingquill is more about learning creative writing skills then proof reading skills.

besides. my copy is allways full of spelling mistakes and gramatical inconsistancies so i'd be a hopeless proof reader. But I am pretty good at teaching others how to harness thier creative talent :D

Cool! :D

I got an idea. What if you did like a proof-read of other peoples writing they post? maybe give some tips? I would also like to see a workshop done of past-present tense, as i'm seeing alot of stories that "is present and past at the same" using words like 'came-come, running-ran, dead-died, ect'. Thanks Val!

Mwahahhaa I'm the grammar and editor spaz >:3

So fear the almighty RED PEN OF DOOM!

But anyway, back to the serious subject. I have a lot more time now too, so I think we can really get this going this time. (:

Awesome ori. and I am frightened by the red pen of doom. it is the sith light saber to my....my...errr...Handfork of truth!

Guest Daichenzian

I've got no work left to do for a few weeks, I suppose I might give this thing a go.

lol Quote from looking for group. Anyways we need to draft up course content so im up for hearing what the members would like to achive out of this

Guest Daichenzian
lol Quote from looking for group. Anyways we need to draft up course content so im up for hearing what the members would like to achive out of this

I guess a starting point would be writing a strong introduction to a story. With a weak introduction to a story, readers are not likely to even look at the next chapter.

Another thing is character to character interaction. The problem I find would be developing characters so that can be easily distinguished from each other in a conversation.

Give them a habit that that is a symbol of their uniqueness as characters. like tapping a finger against ones face when the character thinks or a habit such as pacing. fussing with a particular object.

and genraly just use the word So and so "Said" Authors have a fear. myself included that we use the word "Said" a hell of a lot more then we ought to. but readers mostly dont care.

as far as intro's go. start with an immedeiet threat. as long as someone is threaterned. and the character chooses to struggle against that threat. then it draws the reader in and makes them interested. (I started out with a full placed battle in my novel) and it did the trick but you can use more sutble techniques. like a heated verbal argument or someone trying to get away from an attacker or even just someone going for a job interveiw which they really really need to get.

as long as there is threat. then there should be interest. start off by talking about "The rosy fingers of dawn fell down upon the rippling surface of the rivers flowing water. transforming the soft light passing through the trees into a aura like glow which bathed the quiet forest in gentle rays of light. the birds in the trees twittered loudly announcing the comming of a new day to the denizens of the realm"

and personaly. I am bored after reading the first sentance. and I want to see some threat.

so I would probably take that passage and turn it inside out. staritng off with a line of description then shattering the tranquill moment with some sort of thread

you know i'm working on a story of my own now, already passed the 2000 words but it fell silent lately, not that i cant think of more, i just havent felt like writing, (a good sighnd i'd say couse i often write when flooding of emotions)

Guest Daichenzian

If someone has any piece of literature they want to submit or add to, what is the procedure for putting it up? Do we put it in this thread, start our own thread, or give the stuff to you some other way, like by PMs or e-mail?

I think that's a matter that will have to be sorted out once everything's ready to run.

It will probably have a specificed area, just to make things organized.

Righto well the first draft of Rise of a Venduki is complete. IT'S FINISHED!!!!!

So now all I need to do is the editing so I am now pretty much free compared to my ususal schedual

so wooo (But that might change when I get closer to deadline date as I have meetings and such)

Guest Daichenzian
Righto well the first draft of Rise of a Venduki is complete. IT'S FINISHED!!!!!

So now all I need to do is the editing so I am now pretty much free compared to my ususal schedual

so wooo (But that might change when I get closer to deadline date as I have meetings and such)

Congratulations. I hope you do well with it.

Sign in to follow this