Everything Dragon
Sign in to follow this  
Valoren

Wingquill workshop Unit one: On being god (Creating your story)

On being god part one. Creating a world

The greatest king who has ever lived could not command the thoughts of his most lowly slaves. yet the poorest author has greater power over his world. then any king or even god himself.

Well. You fancy yourself a writer. you start a new project. Perhaps your first, and you find yourself staring at a blank work processing screen, fingers trembeling above the keys, or a blank sheet of paper. the pencil flicking between your fingers. ultimately you ask yourself. "What do I do now?"

No doubt you have read the books which sit on the best sellers shelf of your local book store. drooling at the prospect you may just one day have your own title upon it. Ideily rubbing yourself through your trou... Ahem.

There is a power residing in the hearts of all of those who create. from artists to writers to film makers.

which is the power to create. simply from paint and canvas or pen and paper or through the lens of a camera with a willing subject dressed up as your mum. weilding a shotgun pointed and the faces of the walking dead.

ect. In art and writing at least. You play god. Unforntunately not all are blessed with the natural power of a creator. But we all once were. Think back to when you were childeren. When the world was new and every day was a new discovery, when you dreamed great dreams and made places in your mind. It's not dead. Not gone. Just sleeping. Begging to be woken up.

Lets try and do a bit of an excersise here. Don't worry there is method to the madness to follow

I want you to think of a barren world. a planet. It's a lifeless shapeless rock. smooth as glass and totaly featureless. There is no sun, there is no moon, there is nothing around it. It's just a massive smooth rock.

I want you to close your eyes. and think of what it could be. use your childhood imagination if you struggle with this sort of thing. Just think of what it could be. An alien world? The home of the Dragons? A paraelle earth?

Good. Welcome back. Got something. I hope so.

Now you see the potential of your world. I want you to create it. Peice by peice. Give it a sun. a moon. stars around it. constelations. Now give it an atmosphere. create water. smother your new planet in water. making it a massive big ocean. then give it land. look at the land. contenients. Islands. polar caps perhaps. it's up to you.

Ok. You have a planet. congratulations. you've given it a sun a moon an atmosphere and water and land and all that good stuff. Grab a pen or open a word processer and write all this stuff down. dont worry about grammer or spelling or structure for now. just write it all down.

Now comes the most important bit. Life. Give your planet life. populate it with critters and plants. are some sentient. are they like earth's anmials or diferent? What is your dominent species. what do they look like. how smart are they. How did they come to be what they are. Do they have cities. advanced technology. Or magical powers. Would they have a rough place on an earth like timeline. the far future. the distant past?

what cloathes do they wear. do they even have cloathes. Are they mammal. reptile. bird or fish like.

are they even vertabrates? Did you make a world only populated by dragons? if so great minds think alike.

Ok. How do they talk. mind to mind. by voice or by growl grunt or something else. How do they communicate. are they social or solitary. how do they love one another. form friendships. likely it will be done in a human like way. as that is what both we and our audiance relate to. but how is it different? Are they a dog race that sniffs the bum to say hello. then engages in normal coversation? How many kinds of sentient being and dangerous creature are there?

If they are advanced. what is their technology? if they are simple in what inventive ways do they use the tools they have? continue building this world for say ten minuets. then stop.

Well done. If you actualy took the time to do this excersise then well done. to the rest of you lazy buggers that didn't GET ON WITH IT!

such outlandish concepts is what orgional creators of fantasy and science fiction are all about.

If you are a writer of stories set in the real world. your ability to create a new world is somewhat limited.

yet you still have history and fantastical elements to play around with (Like merlin or Beowulf)

Past as well as future. Steam punk and Cyber punk. and Alternate present reality stories. all are worlds based on our own. A huge amount of freedom is still avalible to the author.

Ultimatly. You will zoom in from your godly hight onto an unknown indivudal who does not yet have form. this could be your hero or your villian. but he is the most important part of your creation for without him. this wonderfull new world you have created would not have a reason to be. this being will have a name. a reason for getting what he wants. and other beings which will try to stop him. but your being is not completely alone. he has allies, friends. those who care about him and those who love him. as well as those who hate and dispise him.

First you must give him a reason for being who he is. and why he is interesting for all of your godly vision to be focused on him. he is ordanary. but he is epceptional. and he must have the strength to struggle through the trials you place on him. even if he does not win he shall fight and struggle on. because gods dont focus on wimps. they are boring.

Now you might have an inkling on who this being his. what he looks like how he thinks what makes him burn with passion and what makes him wet his pants in fear.

Now lets take our new foudn godly powers. and create him. and the trials and triblautions which makes him worth reading about him.

lets create. A character.

Wingquill workshop content is created by Haydn James Payne and the respective contributors who hold all associated rights. course content is covered by copyright law and may not be disturbuted, reproduced or edited (With the epception of Orealisk's Red pen of doom) Without the explict concent of all members of Wingquill Worshop. © Wingquill workshop 2009 H J P and associates

If you feel like posting the stuff you've written and created that's cool. keep in mind this is just an excersise you can refer to at any time. it helps at getting the creative side of your mind into gear!

Guest Daichenzian

It might take some time for me to properly create a character and a world for them to live in, but I will try.

Well, i told you i would give this a try... So here goes! Note that this isn't written before or anything, it's one complete improvisation ... X_X

Deep within the universe, a small planet stands alone. Lonely with only one moon orbitting it and a hardly noticable sun in the far distance. Because of this, the planet is mostly covered in snow and ice all year around and keeps temperature far under a normal minimum when compared to other planets. From afar, one could see the huge icebergs and glaciers sticking out of this white boll. But once you get a closer look, the frozen lakes slowly become visible, then the different civilizations... One of the biggest would be an enormous city, made intirely of ice. It blends in perfectly with the snow next to it, but it tends to stand out because it's located right between three different mountains. Above the city, it's constanly snowing over the smoothly cut buildings and its remarkable inhabitants. Some can only be seen with an observant eye, since they're mostly as white as the weather itself. And they are either this color, or a crystal-like blue. Who's scales shine and reflect beautifully into their surroundings. Some lay lazily in the cozy snow, others are flying around the city, but some stand seemingly anxiously at the gigantic gate. Over time, more and more join as the group gets bigger, creatures of every scaled Draconic kind in the city are there... Wyverns, Western Dragons and Half-Dragons. The last two were greatly outnumbered by the Wyverns, which took up most of the population. Followed by the Half-Dragons, but it hardly showed when their smaller size was put next to their fellow inhabitants. Therefore one would mostly think that they're with the least amount of species. But as time passed, it would show why they all were waiting. In the distance, a dark shape showed in the thick snow that was slowly moving closer.

Well, i'll stop for now, it's pretty late and i'll get some sleep now... I hope nobody fell asleep while reading this, haha! ^^

Remember peoples. it's a quick excersise. not ment to be written but rather spat out. It's just a thing to free your creative mind and prove you are capable of createing a living breathing world. in the later units ill show you my methods of not only giving it life. but spirit too

Guest Daichenzian

Is this the sort of thing you want?

After almost 800 years of struggle, the desert region of DoroUbetye only realised its independence from the Eastern Empire a decade ago, the Lordships struggle amongst themselves to have domination over the young king. As well as each other, the Lordships have to atend to the wishes of the Dragons who themselves desire to create a kingdom of their own.

The Eastern Empire has recently endured a long and painful civil war that was brought about by the shameful loss of the neighbouring DoroUbetye region to rebellion, the old regime was defeated and a new one took its place. The new regime now seeks to reclaim their lost honour by retaking DoroUbetye.

To the north across the sea, the land of Myde seeks wealth, their leaders aspire to create a vast trading empire, and holding influence and land in DoroUbetye will be a valuable asset and vital to their future expansion.

Jaubael (I suppose is the main character) is a Dragon unlike any other. He has been sheltered from the rest of Dragon society by the Lordship of Yellokhrim, he knows only the local human customs and traditions, and although Dragon society fascinates him with its pride and sense of culture, it also frightens him with its unrelenting violent nature.

The Dragons of DoroUbetye seek to reclaim what they consider to be one of their own, the young king seeks to show his worth as a leader by reining in the maverick lordship of Yellokhrim, and two empires seek to expand their influence.

hey i'm srry val, but i'm goin to write my own way ^^, i'm well on my way with my own story and i think i can handle it myself, bessides the best way to learn often is to just do it :P, and yes actualy when i'm writing it goes realy fast, though to be honest i'm stuck on a lil thing XD, i need a small oponent that is filling about 15 pages (i already have 5, i write it like an anime and 5 pages is 1 ep)

Well you can do it that way or as a series of authors notes. it's more about getting the picture in your head and seeing the posiblities of what it could be. if you acomplish that best by writing about it in the way you have then thats perfect

I can see why you are part of the Wingquill workshop XD . Great advice, i'll try it later because I have to go soon.

*Repeats a part of monty python*

Good idea!

Of course its a good idea!

So... ya :) I'm actually getting to a battle scene so I might PM you.

Cheers everyone who's been participating in this course, your first excersise was a really good job, it's gotten the creative juices flowing and proven that you can create an origional idea for a story, even if it's just a world to put it in, it is your world. your creation, and the story possiblities from that creation are quite litteraly, endless, and when I have the time to write the next unit, Ori and I will be helping you explore the potentional of the world you've created!

Stay tuned dragons and dragoness.

Val

Sign in to follow this