Everything Dragon
Sign in to follow this  
A Golden Noble

MINECRAFT YO

Just wondering.... does anyone here play Minecraft or want to play it?

Just a topical thing as Minecraft version 1.3 is out today!

I keep hearing about Minecraft everywhere. Everyone I know seems to know the game and play it, and also recommend it. I can't say its ever touched one of my computers just yet but if this hype about it continues, I might actually have to look at it.

Its really fun! Its a survival and creative game, so you need some drive to pal it. you create tasks and projects for yourself..like.. building houses or a village or a port with ships or re creating film sets or going into the Nether and building satanous cathedrals in the lava beds or making underground ruins and tombs! its so much fun, especially on a server with other people to combine powers and resources with!

Minecraft is something that does appeal to me quite a bit. I have always loved creating things, and games that allowed me to create things.

So, I am sure that eventually I will get it downloaded and installed on the machine here.

Loc

Well you can have two main modes, Survival, where you hunt for resources and battle mosters at night to stay alive and gather building materials and food in the day.

Or Creative Mode. This allows you to scoot around the world and fly where you please and gives you access to all building blocks in unlimited number. Its kinda like god mode.

its a great game :3

Creative mode sounds like the sort of thing I would spend most of my time in. Its what I would always do when playing Sims. Id create a sim, then spend my entire time building extravagant houses and the such haha

Loc

Is it true that with Minecraft there is a free version and a paid version? If so, whats the difference between the two?

Loc

Well you need to set up an account on Minecraft.net, thats Free.

Then you can download a demo version for free or so I've been told by the other half. He says that the demo gives you 3 days of play in every world you create and no more. You're unable to access Multiplayer on a demo version so you miss out on the Servers and Custom Adventure maps.

I just paid the £16 it was when i got it a year ago.

Its one off payment and gives you access to custom skins, Modded programs, Adventure maps, multiplayer servers, texture packs! Its worth it to pay really.

There are regular updates from the creators and there are always new updated features!

Its like a new game each time!

Worth it :3

Hmm, I think I will probably try the demo first and see how it goes. If I enjoy it, I may consider getting the full thing. If I dont like it, its no loss out I suppose hehe

Loc

Fair enough!

I prefer the mods to the Vanilla Minecraft. Tekkit is great and the Yogbox! Mods are awesome. There are mods that let you build Airships and tele potation devices and stuff :3

What other sort of mods are we talking about? Is it a case of you just get things that people have created, or is it the ability to make such things?

Loc

You can download Maps that people have made, like recreations of the Mines of Moria for example:

0.jpg

and

minecraft___lord_of_the_rings_by_lexa2-d3ni5l7.png

Some examples of LOTR Maps you can download and walk around.

You can Download ''Mods'' such as 'Mo Creatures'.

In vanilla minecraft you get as standard, Pigs, Sheep, Cows, Chickens, Spiders and Squid. These are your Animal Mobs that you use for food and resources. (Wolves also, they will fight for you when tame!)

The 'Mo Creatures' Mod essentially fills your world with a crap ton more. Were talking Cats, Birds, horses, Unicorns and Pegasi, Deer, Foxes, Bears, Lions, Jaguars, Crocodiles, Scorpions, Dire Wolves, Warewolves, Sharks and Dolphins etc!!

Theres the Tekkit/Technic Mod that allows you to have Computers and Oil power, Nuclear reactors/bombs etc!

Mods like Thaumcraft which is an Alchemy based one, you can teleport and gain magical items and crystals that give you great power.

Theres also THE YOGBOX. This super mod gives you a package. It includes Mo Creatures, Thaumcraft and the Village Kingdom mod. This gives you Dungeons and dungeon towers with bosses to conquer and incredible loot. It also creates villages with NPC villagers to trade with!

You CAN create your own mods if you can program. This i cant do personally because i don't understand the language XD

HOWEVER.

ANY jo blogs can create an 'Adventure Map' in creative Mode. Such as the Mines of Moria or Helms Deep or Hogwarts or FallOut Las Vegas or ANY LOCATION EVER. You can then publish the adventure map online and if its good, famous youtubers will play it and perhaps a company will buy the rights to your map. Its pretty cool.

BTW.

WOW related old project someone did.

They are certainly some very impressive maps o.o

The more I see, the more tempted I am to try it. But I still stick by going for only the demo version first. If I cant get to grips with the building mechanic, it wil lseriously sour my game play of it all.

Loc

GO FOR IT :3

The game has no information with it, so the easiest way to get started is to watch a beginner lest play video t get the basic crafting formulas or go to the MinecraftWiki to get all the info ever XD

Well, I tried the demo version yesterday, to see how it goes. It was only a 90 minute demo though, which was a tad annoying, because it wasnt until about 15 mintues left that I really started getting into it and working out how to do things.

I have to say, I can see the appeal. I absolutely love building things, and I can see how this game could lead to the creation of some fantastic things. I am sorely tempted to get the full version now.

Loc

Well, I went and bought the full game last night to play. Thankfully, unlike when I first started playing the demo, I had a general idea of what I was doing (how to make a pickaxe etc) and I have now started to construct my little home, complete with a nice wall to stop the creepers, skeletons and zombies from getting to me.

Only major problem I have had is the fact that there seems to be a complete lack of food anywhere near me. I tried runing around to find some food, which I eventually found in the form of some chickens and the such, but then I couldnt find my way back to my home and ended up getting shot to death by skeletons. Fun. So, yeah, most of my deaths so far have been caused by starvation!

This wont stop me though! Once I know what I am doing and the such, I will probably just start building all sorts of random things etc.

Loc

Right, FARM.

Unlimited food = Bread + Watermelon.

make a wooden hoe, smack some tall grass with it to get seeds, find a water source of some kind that you can get water from, hoe a two blocks of soil out from the water in any direction, three if youre lucky, plant the seeds and youll be growing wheat! 3 wheat = 1 loaf = 2 1/3 to 3 food blocks filled.

If youre lucky to find a watermelon though...Watermelon only fills one hunger block per slice but you can get like 3-7 pieces from one watermelon and 3-5 lots of seeds from one slice. very quick bulk food.

Ta for the info! Right now I have just been mining into a giant mountain next to where my house is in a bid to get some better materials. I have also found the joy of cooked chicken, now that I have coal!

Annoyed with those damned creatures though. They kept finding there way into my little area and going boom, so i ended up building a wall all around my little house and land with all the stone that i had been mining in a bid to get coal and the such. They are not blowing up my stuff >,>

Loc

CUPCAKE KINGDOM!

And you know that moment when you have wondered around forever lost in the world, trying to find your house? I did that. Was lost for 3 hours. And finally... I saw my house in the distance. I almost cried...

When I play on a new world I usually make a tall tower to mark where my house is, that way I can just look around for the tower. Just have to make sure you don't go far enough that you're out of sight of it, but you'd be surprised how far you can go before you can't see it anymore if you make it tall enough. Also, if you press F3 it will tell you your x y z coordinates and you can simply right that down on a piece of paper. That's what I do if I find someplace interesting and want to keep track of it.

I really need to get some pics posted up of my creations. Granted I cant show you one of them anymore, because I deleted it accidently, but all the same!

Loc

You deleted them! For shame! I'm enjoying playing Minecraft atm (at Locs house) and i made quit a good house but went and attached my house to my mine. Wooops. My house had the holy hell blown out of it 3 times in 5 minutes, and every time i tried to fix it, it got blew up again!

I only deleted one of them, and that was my proper play through file ages ago now. I have a new proper file. I still have my Solhaven creations! Speaking of which, I shall share a couple of screenshots with you now! There are 4 shots in total, and I apologize for the quality in a couple of them but they were taking during the in-game night time, so its not easy to see things haha!

I shall post two here, the other two are in an album in the gallery. One thing I will say though, is that these pictures are old(ish). I have built a lot more since taking these screen shots. I will take more when I am next on though.

Here is the first one of the docks that lead into Solhaven, along with a boat docked there.

And an overhead view of the partially built Solhaven!

The version I currently have is about twice the size of what is shown in the screenshots, and only half the size of what the finished one will (hopefully) be!

Loc

Sign in to follow this