Everything Dragon
trigirl48

IC: Orb of Katoral

OOC Thread

Eons ago, Dragons were primitive solitary creatures. Over time, they evolved into sentient creatures and learned how to manipulate the energies around them. They taught this ability to a younger race, which had more recently gained sentience. However not all dragons agreed with what to do with this new race. Some wanted to ally while others wanted to use them for labor and food. This disagreement caused the first war and nearly both races where wiped out. It was only thanks to a dragon with the power to heal that the war finally ended.

Now countless millennia have passed the young race that caused so much trouble evolved into two species, faeries and humans. There is a peace between all the races but some still hate or fear the dragons and pledge to wipe them out. The only way they can succeed is through a mysterious book with the unremembered history of the world.

------------

The morning was bright and crisp, a light breeze blew off from the ocean bringing with it the smell of salt and fish. The sun was barely in the sky and the port district was already abuzz with people. Fishing ships of all sizes were returning with their catches while merchant ships from the night before unloaded their cargo. Shop owners in the trade district opened their shops, set up displays and looked for last minute deals before the rest of the city awoke.

One such dealer was currently perusing for any interesting books or antiques that made their way to the city. He wore a dark wool tunic to keep the chill out as he slowly went from shop to shop eyeing the items for sale. Most of the other merchants knew him, and ignored him. While he looked every day, he normally did not buy anything.

He smiled as the wind blew through the street ruffling his short pale hair. He liked to keep it short so it would be out of his eyes but he had gone too far this last time, and now it was short enough to stick up on its own. He ran a hand against his head, he was starting to like it like that. He checked to make sure his coin purse was still on his hip as he turned to visit one last shop before opening his. This was a place that had a few more books than most other merchants, aside from himself of course, and usually had something at least fun to look at.

Edited by trigirl48

(OOC: Going in a different direction this time around.)

Raithe was sitting in a semi-comfortable chair in a swishy office. This employer was very obviously a syndicate man. He had anti-dragon propaganda posters in proud little frames all around his obsessive-compulsively scrubbed office, with a perfectly placed window to allow enough light to read without a lamp. He didn't have to wait long before he was finally joined. A few days ago, hidden away in his fortress-like hidey-hole base in the framework under an abandoned fairground, he had received a posh letter telling him his services would be required, and to come to the high society part of Tristram.

The people had treated him badly there before, so he had taken the rooftops, and the gutter pipes to reach an open window. The man himself, now in the room, was immaculately dressed in a high ranking navy officer's uniform.

"Mr Raithe. I don't have have a sealed envelope in my coat, which i definitely did not pass to you." he said, passing it. Raithe knew the score. they were always listening.

"I did not take it. Anything else you didn't tell me?"

"I most certainly did not inform you that the package, of which i know nothing about, is not in the third floor corridor of the Gossamer Hotel, in a box marked "confidential, security clearance diamond level".

"I'm sure i didn't hear anything, or fully understand it all, thanks for not talking. good day, Sir." Raithe exited via the window, swinging up onto the railing, and onto the roof. The sword on his hip growled.

"Sounds like a set up, dummy."

"Probably, but at these wages, how can i argue?" He set off toward the Gossamer Hotel, it wasn't far, but the street was heavily guarded...

Tarzyk sighed as he looked at the sky standing near his den situated at the base of a huge mountain, nicknamed Dragon's Mountain to those who knew he dwelled there, to others it was simply known as Mount Narkinot. It was a scant twenty leagues from the port nearby. The rest of the range stood another fifty behind it. It was the end/beginning of the Markalis Range. With a snow-capped peak and dense foilage running halfway up its side, the mountain looked like a peaceful enough place. The farmers nearby would rarely sow their crops in sight of his den. The humans rarely visited him, but those who did, knew he could do the task they asked for. He was a blacksmith by trade and his scales were proof of that. They were covered in soot and ash from the day's work, a rather difficult piece to be sure.

Tarzyk sighed again, his hammer head the size of a human, maybe two, rang upon the metal shield he was working on. It was a work of art for the neighboring kingdom. A faerie ambassador had been sent to bring the project to the dragon to design a sword and shield imbued with the family crest and its power. They offered him more than enough gold. They knew Tarzyk was not one to steal off the land or others and therefore would buy the livestock he would eat. The hammer beat down again. Ting, ting, ting...

Something different was in the air today... he could feel it.

Silently moving across the rooftops and parapets, Raithe slipped expertly into the Hotel's open window on the third floor. It seemed to be empty at first glance, but a second look revealed the assailants waiting in and around the room, breathing heavily with assault, if not murder, on their minds. Several of them had given themselves away when a dragon had landed on the hotel roof gardens, and was roaring happily. Raithe took each step with extra care as approached the door to his target, and he had to wait for a moment, so the guard was looking the other way, and the others were too busy trying to look invisible to take much notice of what they'd been told to keep an eye out for. His hand on the door handle, he heard the blade whispering to him....

"Trip wire behind the door, snaps when you open it... then, death."

He opened the door a tiny bit, and could see the trip wire, so he closed it again. The only other way in was the window outside, so he hopped onto the window ledge of the adjacent window, and shimmied round tot he balcony. Hauling himself up, he nearly slipped when the dragon above roared again, but kept his composure as the balcony revealed its secrets...

The owner of the bookshop was on the elderly side but his mind was as sharp as ever and as he unpacked a crate he greeted his dark clad guest by name. “Ciatious, how are you this morning?â€

The young man answered as he eyed the items coming from the crate. “So far so good. I made a large sale yesterday, the home of a noble’s cousin burned down so she bought some items to help ease her cousin’s burden of replacing everything.†The shop keeper chuckled and motioned for his guest to follow him. He walked to the back of the store where several books and small trinkets had been laid out for inspection.

“I had a feeling you’d be coming in this morning Ci, so I set a few things aside that I thought would catch your interest.†Ciatious looked at the items before him. The trinkets were all right but not anything that he would sell. He flipped through the books most were simply fanciful stories. However, as he lifted the last book to look through it, he noticed it was quite different from the others. It was heavier than it should have been first off and the covers were made of a material he didn’t recognize. The pages where made of the same material albeit a much thinner version of it. As he was a being of magic he also noticed that someone had stuck a protection spell on the book as well. Whomever did that must have felt this book was important. It was shame he could not read what was neatly scrawled onto the pages. His worked allowed him to recognize many languages, even if he couldn’t understand them, but this was something he hadn’t seen before.

Tarzyk could smell and hear the newcomers approaching before he could see them. The path lay off to the right of his den and continued up the mountain to the left. Who could be coming from the mountain direction, he wondered as the hot metal hissed in the water he had dunked it in, coating the shield with a layer of protective shine. He would add the crest and rest of the details by the end of the night. He looked up from the shield as a caravan passed. That was surprising. Visitors rarely came from the mountains, let alone a huge caravan.

Tarzyk watched the wagons passing and could tell it had been a hard crossing. Some were sick, others barely walking. It was mainly full of humans, but he could smell multiple faerie folk amidst the group. Those who saw him averted their eyes, but some, mainly children, watched as he worked on the shield. The sword was finished yesterday. The shield would be done tonight, a full two days ahead of schedule.

Out of the caravan, a traveler came, a faerie by the smell of her. She was an elf, her long auburn hair covering her ears and a gray hooded cloak rested upon her shoulders. The rest caravan kept moving. The young woman's voice was gentle and in an alto tone. It was very musical. "Kind dragon, I am Karathyn," she said. "We have traveled long over the mountains. Our weapons are dull and we have very little food. Would you be willing to spare some food and drink and repair our weapons? We don't have much but we will offer what we can."

Tarzyk looked back to the caravan seeing that the last three wagons had stopped. All of the travelers who had stopped were faerie he noticed. All except three: a man and two children, but the three had a strange smell. Tarzyk blinked. The man was a half faerie, the children had it in them too. Tarzyk looked back at the woman. They really looked like they had little to spare.

Inside the window, Raithe could see a man arguing with two uniformed officers, who seemed to be wearing a symbol on an armband he didn't recognize. They hadn't spotted him, and he used his advantage to slip in behind the adjacent curtain.

"Bring me the box! i know you have it! bring it to me now, or I'll blow your head all over the wall!" Raithe heard the distinctive sound of a flintlock pistol hammer being pulled back. He held his breath and put his hand over his mouth.

"You heard him, hand it over or die!"

"Never! I'd rather die defending it! Dragons forever!" hissed the man.

Raithe couldn't be exactly sure, but the sound of the accused man drawing a blade and making a suicide attack on the officers was what if definitely sounded like. Inevitably, the crack of the shot filled the room with sound and the smell of gunpowder, mixed with blood.

The officers left, never knowing the murder they had just committed was witnessed by a potential thief. Stepping out, he saw the man had at least caught the officer not holding the pistol in his kamikaze slashing- another body, minus a head (probably fell out of the window and onto the next roof) was lying lolloped against the wall. He leaned down to inspect the victim of the shooting, who was not fully dead, this becoming obvious when he grabbed Raithe's collar to pull him close- through his spluttering speech (via gut shot) Raithe made out only a few words.

"Its...(splutter)... in... the...painting of the... (and he died, gurgling.)

The painting was rather too vague a clue. there where hundreds of them, on the walls, stacked in piles, under sheets, even some of them ripped and in the bin. This was going to be a scavenger hunt, and he had only a few minutes before someone discovered him... and the bodies...

Ciatious flipped through the pages again, he could always do some research in his library to see if he could dig something up that could at least tell him what language this was in. The shop owner eyed him, know that the look on the faerie's face usually meant a sale.

"Is there anything you'd like to buy today?" He ventured. Ciatious closed the book again and took a long look at the old man. He would probably offer some ridiculously high price for the book, Ciatious would have to talk him down.

"10 coins for the book." Ciatious offered. The old man laughed.

"No definitely not, this book is old which means it's valuable. For a normal customer I would sell if for 100 but for you, 50."

"This book is unreadable and once translated may even be a hoax, twenty coins."

"Yes but if it's not a hoax that makes it all the more special. I will go down to 45." The old man said stubbornly. Fortunately, Ciatious was more stubborn.

"No one wants a book they can't read, 30 and that's it." It was already more than what he thought the book was worth. The shop owner thought about it for a long moment and finally consented. Ciatious counted out 30 gold coins and started back to his shop.

Tarzyk looked back to Karathyn. "If you are willing to help me gather wood and coals for my forge, I will offer what help I can," he said gently, setting the shield aside. At least it was at a spot where he could set off to the side and come back to it. "Let me see waht I can work on."

The woman nodded, her eyes shining with gratitude before nodding to the man and two children. "This is my husband Rupert and our children, Arya and Marcus," she said. "Kids, get the metal from the wagon. This kind Kindred is going to help us."

The children ran off to the wagon, bringing back a couple pots one with a hole in it the other badly dinged. Rupert then brought out their weapons which included: four daggers, a hunting knife, his sword and shield, and her longbow with a quiver of arrows. Tarzyk surveyed everything and decided that it would have cost them much more had they went to someone else. All he was asking for was physical labor. Ah well. He felt inclined to help these people. He knew the half faerie were usually shunned due to the mixing of blood.

"It will be no problem if you don't mind staying overnight," he told them. "I want to make sure they'll last."