Everything Dragon
Loc_zsu

The End of MSN?

I am not pleased with this news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20222998

I have used MSN, or Windows Live Messenger as it is now known, for many a year. Its fantastic for staying in contact with people, especially those in other time zones. My phone has a handy program on it that lets me run messenger, so I can keep that running whilst I am at work etc, its brilliant.

But, now Micro$oft, in their infinite wisdom, are closing it down, and near enough forcing everyone to use Skype instead, another M$ program. I know, they essentially are the same program, but I always found Skype to be that little bit more unfriendly, awkward to work with quite often, and a hassle to get it to do what you want. The simple act of trying to just message someone isn't as easy as it is on MSN. The amount of times I have accidently attempted to call someone because I double clicked their name....blegh.

Good start to the day!

Discuss!!

Loc

It is rather annoying for those who have no choice but to use mobile devices such as Phones or IPads or 3DS's as many of these devices do not support Skype, and even if they did, they don't support them well.

I was only just getting used to messenger on my 3DS too...

Well to be franked they f***** up MSN since certain updates came. Updates where it just looked fugly and terrible. Because of said current updates I use skype, mostly steam and sometimes msn (my msn version is 2009, I forced it to not update).

At first I didn't like Skype, but I got use to it appearing on my laptop. I never really kept much an eye on the bugger, but it certainly gave me better video chat and voice chat. MSN was cool back in the day, then Microsoft's intelligence fueled by the success of Vista decided to update msn to make it even more clunkier, more unappealing, more stupid looking and, the most important bit of all, increased the number version to make it the up to date msn out.

M'daaaaaaalllfgahjhfjhaskmnj I am sure msn would be great if you had a phone which can use it. Tablet and phones seem to be the only important thing to MS at the moment. For those who only have computers, MSN is the worst it has been since release.Which is why I hail compatibility options otherwise I would be using that piece of ****

Well to be franked they f***** up MSN since certain updates came. Updates where it just looked fugly and terrible.

I agree with Drads on this point that the updates did little to improve the efficiency of msn, they just made it less aesthetically pleasing. I also found the "your friends updates" thing really annoying since most of them were just irrelevant stories such as "timmy21 has changed his name to timmyinmahood13" or "JuicyLucy says: even though you're gone a part of me is always with you </3" Why do I want to scroll through this? I want to talk to people!!!

The other thing that really bothered me about msn, is mine seems to be overrun by virus programs claiming to be half naked girls who attempt to add me and the friend requests come back again and again. Not interested thanks, Sandrabigtitsxx.

However I do still prefer msn over skype, as I find skype to be overcomplicated for a simple chatting system. Morever I think it's really annoying that I'll loose a million contacts when it shuts down. I've got contacts on msn from 7 years ago and I hardly want to go through them all, ask if they're converting to skype and request that they send me their new address. It's just effort man.

Edited by Sayuri

The other thing that really bothered me about msn, is mine seems to be overrun by virus programs claiming to be half naked girls who attempt to add me and the friend requests come back again and again. Not interested thanks, Sandrabigtitsxx.

I had the same problem but it was mostly friends old accounts and being hijacked. This one bot kept on changing names. It wouldn't bother me so much to know it was a bot pretending to be female. But when the bot goes to Bailey, Barry, Greg or something else and then say to me 'sooooo what's up? Wanna see me take my top off?'. Besides kinda creepy with a name like that. The concept of that bot trying to convince me that they were real is also quite insulting. I am not stupid and won't fall for such stupid, idiotic and moronic tactics of me visiting a link and falling prey to something like that. Obviously these bots were targeted at idiotic, prepubescent boys. That said if it were worded differently with a different intent then I might have fallen for it. First conversation ended me up saying 'Hey. ...err what? No I like guys. Oh. Oh I see. You're a bot. Fantastic.' I don't know why but I wish those bots were real and to see the reaction they would get.

The stupid updates about what my friends are doing was perhaps one of the stupidist things I have seen. I see enough of Skype with one kid who keeps updating his status when a song changes. But msn was clunkier and more repulsive in how they pulled this off. Skype just annoyed me in that part. MSN always has been infected and attached with viruses, malware, bots, you name it. I only use it now because a friend of mine uses it and I like to talk to him in private than have people interrupt a discussion that we were having.

I had the same problem of the bot changing names, and two years ago I'd accept anyone on msn because odds are they were real and found my msn from a site that i no longer used but now I decline everyone unless they have previously asked on another network whether they can add me.

The first bot had me fooled because it was just a girl who claimed to be a dancer, and it waited for you to respond before typing back. However when she sent me some special link it sort of gave ti away, also some of the bots said exactly the same conversation to me no matter what i put back :S

I think Bebo has been overcome by the same sort of virus women now that it isn't used very much.

What also annoys me is that they don't give us the option of keeping our msn if we wanted. They did the same thing with closing down the windows live spaces. They just disappeared with no warning.

Edited by Sayuri

Well just fantastic. My mobile Skype is the worst freaking program to exist on the face of the earth and that's all I'm left to? Gay :I That's all I have to say.

I think at the end of the day, my issue will be the mobile aspect as well. It was inevitable that MSN would close eventually, although i'm still not happy about it. But I most often use MSN on my mobile. Its handy for letting me stay in contact with people who I don't normally catch those few times I am on the laptop. As far as I know, though, there is no system in place to use Skype on a phone, not my phone at least.

So, until there is, or another messenger system shows up that can be used on a mobile, I am very much buggered.

Loc

Well it does make business sense.

Who invests in a sinking ship?

I dont like skype at all but none f my friends use msn because its laggy for them, it crashes/signs them out on a whim and it interferes with other programs. I have also found these problems have increased for me too.

Im now also on a mac pro and theres no way im letting that buggy old bit of software be a cancer on my baby.

Dont get me wrong, ive used msn since 2002 but its just a bit past it now.

Ive grown tired of its faults, kinda like a marriage, eventually all you see is annoyances.

Time to trade her in for a newer model with bigger boobs and glossy hair.

Also: If people are that desperate to talk to each other, theres e-mail, a phone call or writing a letter.

I mean for gods sake CAN YOU BE ANY MORE LIKE SPOILT BRATS?? At least we dont have to send it by horse back anymore...Jeez.

convenience has made us pathetic.

You couldn't do anything but text and call on mobile phones about 8 years ago and now suddenly its a life crushing blow to go back to the same mind-blowing convenience of JUST TEXTING.

Well isnt this just a horrific injustice...jeez kids these days.

Edited by A Golden Noble

:( I don't have mobile Skype except on my iPod which means I won't be able to be on msn at work like I usually am. That's rather obnoxious. I don't want to upgrade to a touch screen iPhone or some such because I have issues with those. I used msn at work to keep in touch with my UK friends, because that was the only time they are on. Gahhhhh >:D :fire:

I only used MSN for a few months but it was nice to have a new way to talk to people, but it got hacked and sent out spam to people, so i've not touched it since i found out. Still, sad it's dying. Although i just my phone to talk to most of the same people on facebook, so it's not too big a loss for me really. Noble has a point, mind. It seems everyone feels the constant need to be connected ALL the time, which makes me pity most of today's teenagers

Well according to people who seem to be plugged in to a 'life line' id say in 30 years Ori, when their phone dies, they'll die with it XD

They're trying to save a sinking ship by sinking a ship that is already well afloat. Its just a way to get more people to use payment methods on Skype. I'm upset about this, I like using messenger, and I don't want to change to something else. Yes, I have skype already, but I rarely use it and hate how much memory it takes up when I'm trying to do other things that could use the memory...

I have skype already, but I hate how much memory it takes up when I'm trying to do other things that could use the memory...

i have to agree on this point, i hate the way Skype slows down my computer when i load it up, i hate the way it takes ages to shut down when I turn my computer off and i also don't like how you HAVE to download it. You can use messenger without having it downloaded either on your emails page on the side bar or on ebuddy.

Everyone, IMO.im is a website that allows multiple sign ins. I've used it for several years both PC and mobile. It has Skype in there along with aim, yahoo, msn, Facebook, etc.

So you aren't forced to download it. Just go there for a light, simple interface that's easy on memory.

I personally love Skype to death. The only person I talked to on MSN for a good long while was Korobug, and he started using Skype more because his friends used it so I naturally just switched over. The call/video quality is better and more reliable then I ever experienced with MSN. And I had both on my phone for a bit. I had way too many issues running MSN on my phone. It wouldn't send/receive messages until i signed off and signed back on. It didnt have autocorrect. It would say people were online when they weren't. Would shut down but not indicate it did. It was all too frustrating. Skype every once in a blue moon has similar bugs on my phone, but not nearly as bad and can all be fixed by signing out then back in once. The only draw back, like loc said, is clicking on someones name and accidentally calling them. Plus, now I talk to a few more people because they had skype but not msn. Over all, I'm happy with the outcome. But then again, I haven't used MSN in almost a year.

My msn is now outlook /:

This the same for everyone?

Does this mean messenger won't work? ...

I don't know about messenger. I have been using Skype for the last 2-3 months or so I guess? I just did the merge, because it was simpler. I don't know if any of the people on my friends list are still using just msn or if they have merged.

Loc

They're officially prompting users to move to skype so that they may completely shut down messenger. You have to import your contacts through skype.