Everything Dragon
Eternity Freefate

5 States of Matter (Theory)

{Disclaimer: I do not endorse anything in this topic to be correct or true. This is simply speculation - please treat it as such. However, any thoughts on the matter are welcomed.}

5 states of matter exist from mass to energy.

I speculate that mass and energy are the same thing, in separate "states" that can transition - but that we simply don't have the current capability to observe these occurrences.

1. Solids.

Solids are the lowest form of energy. They act as particles, affect gravity the most, and are the least active on subatomic level; stable.

2. Liquids.

Liquids are a step closer to energy in the scale. Solids commonly transfer to this state when energy is added to it's atomic equation, causing it to transition closer once absorption of energy reaches a certain threshold. I assume they affect gravity less- but I require more information. On a atomic level, they are freer then solids, and therefore assumedly more active. Noted as well; they act more like waves then simple particles.

3. Gases.

Gases are another link in the chain. Again, introducing energy to a liquid, or enough to a solid; will cause the matter to change to a freer state once more - and again more active on a atomic level. Noted also is the re-occurrence of the increase of the wave behavior, and the lessened impact of gravity and other weak subatomic forces. Let it be noted that I theorize that energy (such as radio, infrared, gamma, Ect.) passes "threw" such matter with greater ease as it follows up the chain towards energy itself.

4. Plasma(s)

Plasma is a form of "supercharged" and ionized gas. Like the transitions stated before, adding enough energy to gas will cause it to shift into a plasma. I assume plasma acts very much like energy and only very slightly like matter; gravity has much less effect on it, as the electromagnetic forces in it's subatomic structure are stronger then the weak force of gravity.

5. Energy

Now, I cannot state the series of transitions to be complete, but after all I am no physicist. But I theorize that if enough energy can be introduced to the subatomic structure of a plasma, like in the sun; it would transfer the mass into it's final opposing state of energy. I believe like the 3 states most people commonly see transition back and forth and skip levels- such as sublimation; mass and energy as well can do similar things. Perhaps in the intense expanse inside our sun, Sol, Plasma is transformed into the radiation that it expels in the form of infrared (heat) and other radiations (light, Ect). If this is in fact the case, then perhaps as solid ice can turn to liquid water, water to gaseous steam, and steam into plasma (if "charged" enough) - and back the opposite way; it may be rather logical to assume that matter and Energy can also preform within similar thresholds in a similar fashion. If this is in fact the case, then it would be wise for a species capable of asserting said knowledge as a very fundamental and powerful tool in the universe around us.

(Dark matter?). (Anti matter?) - Other topics I have yet to properly place in this list. Perhaps Anti matter would be retrospectively the same, just like on a fundamental level there tends to be particles of one variant in 2 distinct charges/states/frequencies.

Edited by Eternity Freefate

Something you may find interesting to read, Freefate, is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_matter

I have looked into state of matter myself in the past, and read up on some interesting things. That Wiki page covers most of what I had found it. Along side the classic 3 states (gas, liquid, solid) it provides another 18 states of matter, from the more common known Plasma, to the likes of Bose-Einstein Condensates and Quark-Gluon plasma.

Have a read and let me know what you think.

Loc

I'll have to look into this when I have more time and attention to give the subject.

Thank you for the read though - can you pm the link to me when you have the time?

What's the matter?

Does it matter?

As a matter of fact...

No matter what...

hehehe,...other states of matter or not.

I've always enjoyed the states of matter. I always hated education though. I never learned about plasma until my 11th grade physics class, and only because a student asked. I never heard about it before or after. It's kind of a shame! They should offer a brief introduction in a science class some point in basic education about all of these theoretical matters before a student starts college. I bet it would spark more needed interest in studying and evolving our current knowledge of it.

I had a similar issue in school. They taught the main three, but didn't really mention the others till quite late on. and even then it was only briefly mentioning plasma and bose-einstein condensate. The joys of school, I suppose!

Loc

They taught the main three, but didn't really mention the others till quite late on.

Loc

I must have gone to a bad school because i've just learnt that there are more than three types of matter.

Good job i didn't look for a science related job!!

Edited by Sayuri

Well, I learned of Plasma's mostly in Physics 30 - But that was a grade 12 class I was taking in Grade 11.

Intrigued, I did more research on my own now and then as the topic is of quite some interest to me.

I think I learned a lot about matter from my Astronomy classes at the University. But yeah my high school didn't teach much on it. I just took the basics in high school and lots of art. :O

My school was the same way. they only tough just enough for the curriculum which disipointed me, i wanted to know more. i would often ask too many questions that exceeded the scope of the lesson and depending on the teacher some would answer, while others would just say that its not part of the class. those teachers who did answer the questions, during, or at least after class where always the good ones.