Everything Dragon
Sign in to follow this  
Sayuri

Were the olduns really the greatest?

Old vs new  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer playing old classics or the latest releases?

• Classics ftw!!
    • All about the here and now yo.

So as the title says- do you think the old classics were the best? 

Many prefered simple consoles and game ideas to the new in depth storylines and colourful graphics.

What do you think? Did you prefer the games you played as a child? Or the latest releases?

Do you still own any old consoles such as sega megadrive/ PS1 etc?

post-842-0-63776900-1362848256_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sayuri

You know it really depends to me. There's some new games that have absolutely stunning graphics and riveting story lines, but there are some classics with the worst graphics known to man and the best story lines of the century. As well there's new and old alike that are just basically little indie games that really get your attention for hours and yet it's simple and repetitive (take dig dug, or galaga for example!)

So to me I love both with equal respects for different reasons.

I'm very neutral on this one, have seen a few modern awesome games, but also, I feel like games are worse nowadays.

Graphics are awesome, and I don't have a rig of a pc for nothing, but... games at it's core are not reliant on graphics.

If they'd make the stories and gameplays of yesterday, with the graphics and architecture of today, near perfect games would emerge.

I agree with the stories, but games like Mass Effect and Spec Ops had both beautiful graphics and amazing story lines. Bioware and 2K really know their way into a good game.

See I never got the big deal about graphics, like theyre nice and all but then they require a super high speed computer and such. I'm happy with just simple ones haha. The only new game i want is GTA 5 C: 

While graphics is great it doesn't make a game fantastic. Gameplay does, storytelling does, the atmosphere does and the mechanics is of a good quality. No game is ever perfect. I dare say the game would be harder to make these days then back many years because of the increase of hardware being made which requires drivers to be installed. Sometimes it is the graphics driver that is causing a terrible time in a game. Or perhaps a bit of both of the graphic driver and the game  (I'm looking at you Rage).

Two friends of mine and I recently installed Morrowind together separately on our machines. I've never met them but we talk through steam voice chat and we all started playing the game at the same time. I haven't played Morrowind in years and I remember of how good it was compared to the recent Elder scroll games. The graphics at the time the game was released was grand, the mechanics and structure of how the game works was spectacular and wasn't that hindered to provide content for players to enjoy. In other words it wasn't graphic orientated. It focused on the content. There were some obvious problems with the game that when you jump the slope will carry you on and it will make you take fall damage (or die) but the positives stood out more than then negatives.

I was mentioning to a friend of mine of a game called Lands of Lore. An old RPG adventure game which I've had most of my life.

mqdefault.jpg

It was a pretty basic game but with huge impact to me. It was very Roleplay and had puzzles for you to work out. What made such an impact to me was that the game scared me at many points. Like say, you leave the castle you start in. Ready to go on an adventure and begin your epic quest! You get hit with this music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW23EFk09l0 and a dark eerie forest. The only bloody things out in this forest are 1 warthog (most easiest thing to kill) and 3 thugs. THAT'S ALL. The whole atmosphere petrified me as a kid and I couldn't pass that area until I was braze enough. The next area you are hit with this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0iXDa1IvDE at which I am confused because it is still a forest but the music is happy, cheery and everything. BUT THERE ARE SO MANY MORE MONSTERS HERE and much more deadly too. Aside from that song the game had more creepy ass music that made you wish you weren't there to begin with.The enemies were frightening due to being very lethal and because of how freaking ass they look. How they attack and the sounds they make are very foreboding. Download the game or watch it on youtube to see exactly what I mean, although it is more effective if you play it.

It has become a tradition that old games or the first game of the series is the epitome of the series compared to sequels and/or prequels that came after the game's release. Dungeon Keeper, Halo, Crysis, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Borderlands (I found the second game to be disappointing imo) and the list goes on. A few exceptions of games actually being just as good or better than the first would be the Starcraft series, Mass Effect series (excluding the 3rd game) and in some cases Pokemon (it is the anime that is getting worse imo).

When it comes to the really, really, really old games. I LOVE all the ones I played as a very young boy. Bartman on the NES, Super Mario Land 1,2,3, Super Mario Land on the gameboy, WarioLand 2, Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons/Time, Another World on the SNES and Super Mario Kart (before Mario Kart 64). Hell we even had Pacman, Chip's Challenge, Lose Your Marbles, Jazz Jackrabbit on our PC. We had a lot of games back then that I miss. They were classics that started a lot of grand games that are still around today, or forgotten by many. I miss those games.

If anything both eras of games, there and now. Both are good. Good games are still being developed with more funding but the classics started it all. Influencing the game developers of today.

Edited by Dradolan

That Lands of Lore looks dead cool! Is it on PC?

I used to love Frogger, Bomberman and Donkey Kong, they were my favourites growing up although there was neither a proper storyline or good graphics.

Donkey Kong was a classic you had to elp the monkeys collect the bananas and escape from different animals e.g. crocs, birds, gorrilas etc and sometimes you got an animal to ride! I might go on a redownloading mission...

27706-donkey-kong-country-3-dixie-kong-s

Edited by Sayuri

Yeah its on PC. I am pretty sure it isn't that hard to find and download. You can buy it from Gog with the second game for 5.99 or if you wish to try it before paying for it you can just get it off emuparadise: http://www.emuparadise.me/ScummVM_Games/Lands_of_Lore_-_The_Throne_of_Chaos_(CD_DOS,_Multilanguage)/140816-download. I use Dosbox to actually run the game.

Thanks man, will have a go when I get back home. Need more than my annoying blackberry haha

I love the older games like on Playstation 2 ,Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube,Wii,Game boy ,Nintendo DS!

Edited by Helios Dharak SennkohCoola

My sister made me feel really old the other day, she said a 90s game was 'vintage' :/

I downloaded Sonic 1 last week, the original sonic which I used to play on the Master Drive it's so good :)))

There is certainly a charm to playing the older games, I will give you that, but I don't know if its a case of they are better. Give it 10-20 years, and we might be playing the games from now thinking "man, these old games are so much better than what they are now". Of course, that could be because games get progressively worse as the market is saturated with just the next number in a long line of bland games (I'm looking at you sports games >,>)

True, I love playing Sonic. Its great fun. But, I still prefer Sonic Generations of Sonic 1. I love playing Pokemon Red/Blue, but it doesn't beat Pokemon Black/White (I haven't played X or Y yet =[) A lot of the time, I reckon its just our perceptions of how we were at that age. For most of us on this site, when we were playing the "classics" like Sonic, Mario and the rest, we weren't even 10. We didn't care about story, or graphics or anything like that. Twas a simpler time!

But, that doesn't mean they aren't good. I still love playing Crash Bandicoot 1. That was one solid game.

Loc